If you’re into makeup, have you ever wondered why makeup artists and beauty gurus can’t stop raving about primer? Well, we’ll break it down for you today as we enter the world of makeup must-haves!
If you’ve ever had a love-hate relationship with your foundation or struggled to make your eyeshadow pop, a primer might just be the secret sauce (we mean, cream) you’ve been missing.
From blurring imperfections to extending your makeup’s lifespan, primer works wonders on your makeup!
In this blog, we uncover the reasons why primer should have a special place in your makeup bag. Let’s get started, shall we?
Also Check :11 tips to make skin look younger with makeup
What is a primer?
A primer is a cosmetic product that is applied before foundation or other makeup products.
It acts as the foundation, creating a flawless canvas for makeup application. You can apply primers to your skin using creams, gels, or sprays, addressing specific skin concerns like reducing pores, soothing redness, or controlling oiliness.
Using a primer extends the wear time of your makeup, simplifies application, and produces a more polished finish. It plays a pivotal role in many makeup routines to achieve a professional, long-lasting look.
The types of primers
There are many types of primers to cater to different skin types and makeup needs. Some common types include:
- Silicone-based primers: These primers help to conceal pores and fine wrinkles while giving the skin a smooth, velvety feel.
- Matte primers: These primers work best for oily skin since they control the shine and extra oil all day.
- Luminising primers: These primers have light-reflecting elements that make the skin look healthy and beautiful.
- Colour-correcting primers: These primers are available in a variety of colours to address particular skin issues, such as green to reduce redness or purple to brighten the drab complexion.
- Hydrating primers: These primers, made for dry or dehydrated skin, provide the skin with an additional burst of moisture as they help smooth out and plump the skin.
- Sunscreen primers: These combine the benefits of a primer and sunscreen, providing a smooth base while protecting the skin from harmful UV rays.
Remember, you need to choose the right primer based on your skin type and the specific concerns you want to address.
Why should you apply a primer before makeup?
Applying a primer before makeup is an important step in creating a flawless and long-lasting makeup look. A primer serves numerous key purposes by acting as a preliminary layer between your skin and makeup.
To begin, a primer offers a smooth canvas for makeup application by concealing pores, fine wrinkles, and flaws. This blurring effect creates a smooth base for your foundation and other products, helping them to glide on more evenly and elegantly.
Furthermore, a primer improves the longevity of your makeup. It increases the grip by producing a somewhat sticky surface, keeping them from fading, smearing, or creasing during the day.
Furthermore, primers can treat specific makeup issues. They keep makeup from settling into fine wrinkles and keep it looking fresh even in extreme heat and humidity.
Ultimately, applying a primer enhances the overall finish of your makeup, making it look smoother, more vibrant and ensuring it stays put for an extended period.
Applying your primer the right way
To ensure you get the best results from your primer, follow these steps for applying it the right way:
- Prep your skin first: Begin by cleansing and moisturising your face. A well-hydrated foundation allows the primer to be applied smoothly and evenly.
- Choose the right primer: Choose a primer that addresses your unique needs, whether they are smoothing, mattifying, moisturising, or colour-correcting.
- Give a minute for the moisturiser: Allow a minute or two for the moisturiser to seep into your skin before applying primer.
- Take a small quantity of the primer: Apply a small amount of primer to your fingertips, around the size of a pea.
- Warm it up: Warm the primer by rubbing it between your fingertips. This allows the product to be spread more easily and evenly.
- Targetted application: Focus on applying the primer to the areas that require it the most. The T-zone (forehead, nose, and chin), where pores are more visible, and any places with fine wrinkles or textures are common.
- Press gently: Rub the primer into your skin using your fingertips. Avoid rubbing or dragging since this may affect your skincare.
- Apply in circular motions: Depending on which you prefer, blend the primer into your skin using upward or circular strokes. This contributes to a smooth and even base.
- Wait a minute: Allow about a minute for the primer to set before beginning your makeup application.
- Go ahead with your makeup: After the primer has been set, apply your foundation, concealer, eyeshadow, or any cosmetics as usual.
It’s important to remember that using the right amount of primer and applying it evenly is key to getting the desired results. Experiment with different techniques to determine which ones work best for your skin type and makeup routine.
Discover amazing makeup looks at Essensuals!
At Essensuals, we’re all about the transformative power of makeup. Our team of experts understands how to bring out your best features, whether you’re looking for a natural everyday look or a bold and glamorous style.
With our professional makeup services, you’ll experience the magic of makeup that enhances your unique beauty and boosts your confidence.
Reach out to us today, and let us help you shine on any occasion!
That’s all there is to it! We hope you understand the importance of primer in makeup and why you should never miss it!
Primer is a game changer, from creating a beautiful canvas to ensuring your makeup stays on all day. Remember the power of primer the next time you reach for your foundation or eyeshadow pallet and how it sets the stage for aesthetic magic!
Enhance your look, simplify your routine, and let your makeup do all the talking! And if you think you need expert help with your makeup, don’t forget to stop by Essensuals for a gorgeous look!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Is primer really important for makeup?
Yes, primer is an important step in makeup. Primers can help keep your skin hydrated, enhance your overall makeup look and extend the time of your makeup by helping it last longer than usual.
- What is the purpose of primer in makeup?
Primers are clear and slick, like a serum. Using a primer will smooth out wrinkles and creases on your skin and make a less porous surface for your makeup.
- Is it okay to skip primer in makeup?
Yes, it’s okay to skip primer in your makeup routine if you’re going to stay in an air-conditioned room throughout the day and step out in the sun only for 2-3 hours. Again, this is the case only if you have really good skin.
- Can I use moisturiser instead of primer?
Yes, you can if your goal is to have hydrated skin. However, a moisturiser is not advisable as an alternative to primer if you’re going to wear makeup.
- Is BB cream and primer the same thing?
No, they are not the same thing. BB cream is a tinted moisturiser with skincare benefits that provides light coverage. However, primer is used before foundation to smoothen the skin, minimise pores, and extend the life of the makeup.